St James Cathedral

Update I’M OFFICIALLY IN OXFORD!!!! LOVING THE CITY WITH EACH DAY THAT PASSES. So it’s now officially 1 month since I started studying Fine Art at Oxford Brookes University. I’ve been a bit busy with projects but decided to update my blog as I always try to. To break the ice and to get us started on our art journey (again) we were put in pairs, in which we each had to come up with ideas and presenting them as the weeks go by. I have to say I’m quite lucky to be working with the guy I’m currently working with. He’s Tom James-Brown an up-coming (I feel so anyway) Welsh artist who deals mainly in sculpture and installation. We have had some crazy adventures already and I’m beginning to  notice a more playful side to my art work; he does things when ever he feels inspired so our projects have often involved very quick sessions of practical work but through deep discussions.

So for one of our weeks we had a drawing exercise discovering various methods of drawing with our definition of a drawing simply being a means of communication, after that we were set our usual group work and were given free reign to determine what we were going to draw. Now of course this was too broad as we were basically told WE COULD DO ANYTHING WE WANTED! So after a short dialogue with Tom we decided to do an interpretation of each other’s chosen memory. He had to draw a memory of me being in the middle of a blackout in Botswana and a child fearing the stairs as they where to dark to go down. His chosen memory for me to interpret was when he was stuck in Croatia having missed his flight being left stranded with no funds at the time.

Now I had great difficulty at first as I couldn’t really put myself in Croatia, so I thought of what I could have done in that situation based on the subject of ‘Sanctuary’. I googled (as you do) images of Croatia and was fell immediately in love with St James Cathedral in Sibenik which features both Renaissance and Gothic architecture. I knew I had to do something based on this cathedral so decided to make my interpretation of the distinctive dome on the cathedral (bearing in mind the the ‘drawing’ is simply communication of an idea). there was a lot of trial and error which I’ll try and post in order, but the end result looked quite dark and scary WHICH WAS AWESOME as that’s what we were aiming for. the end result was an installation with my dome on top and a T.V. Tom brought back from Wales that was broken and would fizzle to a black static visual experience which gave the viewers an uneasy feeling (which was AWESOME). My dome (not really a dome as it was so badly made BUT WHO CARES I HAD A WEEK and I claim artistic License) was made from an edited skeleton structure made from wood rods and bin bags held together with staples.

FINAL EXHIBITION :D

It’s been long-awaited but everything has gone to plan so far and I’m really happy with the way everything looks, I will miss UCA with a PASSION I’ve made friends that I know I will be life long; still it’s onwards and upwards from now on. My final exhibition consists of the various pieces of my faith journey incorporating most of my latest work to reflect my thinking process as it is now. As usual, being my perfectionist self, I had to find an order to put up my work up, which took some trial and error but in the end thanks to the help of those around me my final set up is a follows.

My blogging rate will slow down as I no longer have to work on a deadline however I will be producing work that I feel necessary to my current thought process. Our exhibition is currently at the UCA Canterbury Foundation Studios opened to the public on 21st, 22nd & 24th May 10am-5pm 😀

Paintings

I used my first PVA, Acrylic experiment as a base to get me started into this series of paintings. I used a thinner to ease the flow of the acrylic giving me the chance to vary my intensity of colour without using water. I was going to do these in oils but the slow drying would have caused me to smudge everything. For a first try these aren’t too bad but I hope to add more detail as I go on.

Ink and PVA

These are a series of experiments that I started for my FMP; following my acrylic PVA experiments I decided to limit myself to just Ink and PVA as the ink repels the PVA (probably due to the high water content). I’ve recently started Started playing around with the idea of blowing these up using a projector tracing the detail I see and painting it afterwards. I will post these pieces as I progress.

Sugar Lift etching

Inspired by our visit from Humphrey Ocean our guest lecturer Gwen decided to show us one of his etching techniques which we tried for ourselves later on. I chose to use my recent painting of my grandma as a source of inspiration for my composition. I really like the effect I got from the process, with sugar lift etching you never really get a perfect image but the outcome is great.